OpenChange 0.9 released

In my ongoing distraction from working on the Akonadi Exchange resource, we released OpenChange 0.9 today.

Release notes:
Improved portability, including a focus on supporting FreeBSD, OpenSolaris and other systems that do not use GNU libraries / shells; and portability fixes for use of the Intel C Compiler and Sun Studio compiler. 64 bit architectures should be better supported in this release.


OpenChange status update

I've been working on the next OpenChange release (0.9), and it is getting quite close.

So where are we up to:

  • Merge of Ryan Lepinski's Summer of Code project (on converting Exchange calendars to the ICal format) is done.
  • Did some more testing with Exchange 2010.
  • Julien Kerihuel added support for encrypted connections, which are required in a default install of Exchange 2010.
  • The server provisioning works again. (Note: Server is pre-alpha. This is a developer preview only, not intended for any kind of other use.)

OpenChange 0.9 - coming soon

Not really a KDE related post, but instead one about the OpenChange project.

OpenChange is a project to implement the Microsoft Exchange / Outlook protocols, and we're creeping up on the 0.9 release. For those not familiar with it, the aim is to be wire-level compatible, so that you can use a FOSS client (such as Evolution or an Akonadi client) with an unmodified Exchange server.


OpenChange, and handling email rules

Once again, its been a long time since I blogged. I have been doing a bit of OpenChange development though.


More on static analysis with gcc - meet dehydra

As reported in a previous blog, I've spent some time working with Taras Glek on Dehydra and Treehydra.

It is stabilising and getting to be easier to build. However I thought I'd show a simple example of actually using GCC and Dehydra to check for a policy decision, along the lines of the things that EBN does.

Lets say that we want to avoid use of the strcpy() function. Instead, all developers are supposed to use a xstrcpy() equivalent.


More on plugging into GCC

Based on a comment from Taras Glek on my feeble attempts to get a GCC plugin going, I did some work on Dehydra / Treehydra. Its an interesting approach, and one that benefits from the GCC plugin API.

Basically, you can write the checks that you want to do in Javascript (using the Spidermonkey engine from Mozilla). That is more powerful than the declarative approach that mygcc uses, although I'm still struggling a bit with it. Hopefully I can get the rest of the porting to GCC 4.5 done, and start writing checks that are actually useful.


Request for testing - XPS documents with Right-to-Left text

Its been a while since I did anything productive in KDE land, so thought I'd try to do something in a morning. Its hard freeze time, so that should be bug fixing. Bug 185532 was something I'd been thinking over for a while.


Progress on gcc plugins

In a previous blog entry, I discussed some initial work on GCC plugins. Since then, the GCC gurus (in particular, Rafael Avila de Espindola) have made sure headers get installed correctly.


Experimenting with gcc plugins

One of the new features proposed for GCC 4.5 is the ability to use plugins.

I'm a big fan of plugin architectures, especially in open source software. I think that plugins provide a really nice starting point for potential developers. So you can start with something simple and well defined, and grow into the rest of the system. Personally, the idea of understanding all of GCC is just overwhelming. But perhaps I could do a really basic plugin that can do an additional static check.


KDE + OpenChange + others in GSoC

I was happy to see both KDE and OpenChange (and some lesser projects :-)) were accepted for this year's Summer of Code project.