JAN
2017

Simple Menu launcher on KDE Store

Example screenshot for Simple Menu v1.0
Simple Menu v1.0

Quite a while ago already I wrote a launcher menu widget named Simple Menu. It's using the same backend I wrote for our bundled launchers, and it's a little bit like Application Dashboard scaled down into a small floating window, plus nifty horizontal pagination. It's also really simple and fast.

While some distributions packaged it (e.g. Netrunner Linux), it's never been released properly and released - until now! Starting today, you can find Simple Menu on the KDE Store and install it via Add Widgets... -> Get new widgets in your Plasma.

Please note that Simple Menu requires Plasma v5.9 (to be released tomorrow). Actual v5.9, not the v5.9 Beta - it relies on fixes made after the Beta release.

Comments

I've been waiting for this menu for nearly 6 years on KDE.

To me the default fullscreen menu on a 2160x3840 screen is a huge eyesore at 43" - I have to traverse the whole screen and it doesn't even look clean. 1600x1200 it's great but 4k not so much.

I hope this simple menu can be set to a max size or max column / row size as I greatly want a Slingshot / Panther Launcher like Launcher on KDE.

I actually may return to KDE simply because of this feature - I might be able to put up with the other oddities and quirks like the Windows 10 style side drawers with a sane launcher.

Thank you so much, please have positioning in the settings (Top Left, Center/Center, Right, Bottom, etc...) aswell as maximum size calculated by Icon Size & # of Rows and Columns, thanks so much :)

By ElectricPrism at Wed, 02/01/2017 - 22:54

Really great design!
Is there possibility to add recent documents with option to be below or above all apps menu?

By Alex at Tue, 02/28/2017 - 00:00

Will think about it!

By eike hein at Tue, 02/28/2017 - 11:27

Why KDE removed this plasma widget from its list ( When chosing from "download new widget" ) ?
And also, it does everythings but working normally if I install it (manually) in archlinux KDE. It may appears, works the first time then suddenly it disapears and no menuicon anymore on the panel. Must restore the working menus because this one just do not work since plasma version 10.

By Serge Lussier at Sat, 10/07/2017 - 13:45

I too, cannot find it in "Download new plasma widget", using opensuse tumbleweed plasma 5.11

By Thomas at Sun, 10/22/2017 - 12:00

I usually work with two monitors. The Menu is showed on the secondary monitor

By Rober at Mon, 10/30/2017 - 11:14

Ok, I love simple menu and it's my default on all my desktops. However I really miss Homerun. Rosa Linux still has a version on their KDE4 environment. I love full screen menues, but App Dashboard isn't quite it, Homerun in Rosa allows you to drag and drop apps on top of each other to create folders. Gnome 3 allows for that but it's a complex process. Any chance we could see a menu that encompasses all tha was great about Homerun in a full screen Simple Menu style?

By Jeffry Allred at Sat, 08/11/2018 - 22:55

I'm currently not working on that, but it's certainly possible to code!

By eike hein at Thu, 08/16/2018 - 09:26