Skip to content

Tokamak4 - A New Hope

Wednesday, 24 February 2010  |  rich

Today I'm leaving Tokamak 4, so I thought I'd write a post about what I've been up to while I've been here.

The first day or so I spent getting my machine sorted out as trunk was causing some issues with my graphics driver leading to a hang in the DRI layer of the kernel. I also had a chance to triage some ksnapshot bug reports and look over some patches.

The next day was largely taken up with talks about the current status of the various parts of plasma, kwin and related technologies. We got a little hacking done but not much as it was more important to make sure we're all coordinating our development.

The remaining days became a bit of a blur, so in no particular order:

  • I refactored the plasma javascript scriptengine to make it easier to use it with QScriptEngines that are created externally. This is required before we can integrate things like QML.
  • Worked out what is required for QML integration to be implemented in a way that is compatible with our existing javascript bindings etc. This will require some small changes to the API offered by Qt for QML, which may be a problem. If we don't get those changes then QML is likely to be trapped outside the main engine which will reduce what it can do unless we write another set of bindings.
  • Made some fixes to the webslice applet to improve error handling.
  • Started work on an idea I've had in the back of my head for a while, I won't say too much about it here, but I'll include a pretty picture to whet your appetite:

    In addition to this I've taken part in lots of discussions on topics ranging from activities/contexts, scripting of animations, silk and more. I'd like to thank Will and the rest of the openSuSE team for making this such a pleasant and productive sprint.