OCT
2009

KGet gets some love :)

You will hardly remember of me, since I've not being so active recently (my job takes me lots of time resources). Anyway, stay calm.. It's been proved that knowing who I am will not make you feel any better :) That said it's not about me that I want to talk but about a great coding team doing a great job with a very promising application. That application is.. imagine.. you already know since it was in the title.. It's KGet.

I've been the man who, some years ago, started rewriting this application from scratch. Now, I'm lucky enough to have around me some great developers helping around and doing great things, like Lukas Appelhans, Matthias Fuchs, Urs Wolfer and some others. So now I decided to take the big step and assign the maintainership to Lukas :)

Well, accordingly to this article it looks like KGet is the only download manager (among the ones they reviewed) that supports bittorrents downloads. Well.. This made me smile a little bit, since in KGet is so easy to integrate a new protocol thanks to our plugin infrastructure :)

Ok, You'll ask.. But what's the current state of KGet in trunk? I would say it's in a good shape :) As Matthias already blogged about we have already merged in trunk a lot of great feautures and we are now focusing a lot on bug fixing. We took some decisions to make the code safer and already rewrote some core parts of KGet. We also wrote an unit testing application which gives thousands of commands to kget via DBUS calls, just to verify the overall stability.

So.. what's next? We really need your help to test it more and to find as many bugs as we can. We definitely want the next version to rock. So, people, checkout the current trunk version, compile it and report as many bugs as you can :)

Comments

Hi Dario ;-)
I've just installed the trunk/ KGet and I'm really pleased by this program. It really is a first class KDE4 application, usable and feature complete ;-) Good job in appointing the new maintainer, as long as you keep around!!
I seriously hope Kget's easiness and usability will inspire other Kde apps.

By Enrico Ros at Wed, 10/07/2009 - 13:35

Enricooo :) Happy to hear from you again!! :) Thanks for your comment! And don't forget to fill in some bug reports :P

By Dario Massarin at Wed, 10/07/2009 - 18:29

@bittorrent support: Nice! bittorretn and http download in a single app reminds me of an idea I had:

A thing I wish to be supported by any download manager/bittorrent client is to add http mirrors for bittorrent downloads. Because some content, like videos made be the chaos computer club (ccc), are often available as http and bittorrent downloads. Because there are often only a few seeders the bittorrent downloads are slow. But the files are sometimes huge and the http downloads might be interrupted by my crappy provider. An interrupted connection is no problem for bittorrent because of hashed pieces. To be able to load from http (and the few bittorrent seeders) but check the integrity using the .torrent file would be awesome. Sometimes there are several http mirrors which would increase download performance (and balance load) even more. This would also help in building the cloud of seeders. In an extreme case you would not need the have any initial seeder at all! IMHO the bittorrent protocol should be extended to support this (or does it already?).

Is there any chance that such a thing would be supported by KGet? Or is this supported by KGet already?

By Mathias Panzenböck at Wed, 10/07/2009 - 17:29

These are exactly part of the secret plans we have.. Don't know if I can talk about this here :P (just kidding) Anyway we're getting there, believe it or not :)

Dario

By Dario Massarin at Wed, 10/07/2009 - 18:27

Woot! This is awesome! :)

By Mathias Panzenböck at Wed, 10/07/2009 - 22:54

Is my favorite download manager on any plattaform, open source, freeware, shareware, commercial, it doesn't matter. KGet is great (I actually use it as my download manager with Firefox too).

By luisaugusto at Wed, 10/07/2009 - 17:55

I love kget, because it's easy to use and to the point! I think the simplicity of kget in KDE4 is a unique selling point. E.g. that's why I switched to kget for downloading torrents, because ktorrent gets more and more crowded. Please keep kget that way and don't cram it with rarely used features. Or integrate them really well in the user interface (I have no problem with features that are invisible and just work). ;) That's my wish as a user...

Kget needs however some polishing and bugfixing (e.g. integration with konqueror is a bit inconsistent, groups don't really work for me, kget uses quite a bit CPU during download).

By psychotron at Thu, 10/08/2009 - 10:00

Ehy! Thanks for your comment! Is so nice to know that there is somebody who switched to kget for downloading torrents :)
If you would like to put your own contribute to kget, you know how to do. Just tell us what how you think kget should be to fit your needs, what's not working for you and what you would like to be changed here. We need your help :)

By Dario Massarin at Thu, 10/08/2009 - 15:27

Cool. Some things are already reported. But I'll add some more ;)

However my main wish doesn't really fit in a bug report: Keep it simple and easy to use! It was a pleasure to see the new KDE4 KGet compared to the old KDE3 version. Keep it that way! It doesn't mean that you shouldn't add new features of course, but they should be well integrated. And if they are too corner case, maybe even left out to the benefit of the whole. Keep it up! :)

By psychotron at Thu, 10/08/2009 - 19:47

Wild idea: rename it to "download", or "flux" and move it to the kde-runtime ;-) It's so useful it can't be a tail dependancy, it should be needed by the other pillars! (and the kio progress dialogs should be moved into 'download' as well).
Push it!! :D