AUG
2008

Photo KDE Tutorial 1-2: Curves adjust

I'm real sorry, but the images in this blog post were lost in a server move (kdedevelopers cannot host images), so I had to delete it altogether =(

Comments

Although it seems so simple, I never got to any of that functionality. With your tutorials it works great! So thanks a lot for mediating that functionality to users.

By rabauke at Sun, 08/17/2008 - 12:18

I would like to see a separate tutorial that would explain how to know what needs to be adjusted, from gamma, contrast, and brightness. Thanks!

By dotancohen at Sun, 08/17/2008 - 12:47

What needs to be adjusted is very subjective generally. Depends on your taste.

A common way of thinking by photographers is that a photo should represent what your eyes saw or how your mind interpreted the scene. Then, if the photo didn't match with that, you could try fixing that.

A photo may be dark, and I can teach the tools to recover those dark places. But I cannot tell that you should always use that. Maybe you liked it being dark for some reason. Maybe it was intentional.

Covering this sort of thing would require a whole photography course imho. Also, I don't think I'm the best person to teach such methods and it may go rather out of topic in a kde site like this one.

Nevertheless, you have many online photography tutorials though, and also paper magazines. Look for example at Luminous Landscape for some nice tutorials on general photography

By uga at Sun, 08/17/2008 - 23:51

I've used showfoto to improve my photos before, but it's always been random trial and error. Now I actually know what these things mean! These posts are great! Thank you.

By kwilliam at Mon, 08/18/2008 - 00:34

Can you make my face less red and sweaty though? :)

By gromgull at Mon, 08/18/2008 - 10:42

lol, I asked around who those in the photo were, and nobody replied. Now I know =)
Actually I thought that reflection was due to the flash rather than sweat, but I'll keep the idea for a future krita masks tutorial ;)

By uga at Mon, 08/18/2008 - 21:42

I'd like to encourage to keep publishing this tutorial series.
I'm fairly new to digital photography manipulation, and your articles will be of great help.
Thanks!