JUL
2007

Kickoff Goes KDE 4

Porting of Kickoff to KDE 4 has started: the first step is trying to make it work with the Kicker remains. Some code is still disabled but you can already search/browse applications and start them:

[image:2897 width=348 height=471]

If you want to help to get rid of KDE3isms, the code is in /home/kde/branches/work/kickoff_kde4-port/ - search for FIXME. :-)

Comments

halleluja... that was the first word which came to my mind when i read your headline ^^ hm.. well.. i really apreciate the whole work you all do for kde4 but i really think that kickoff is just the best possible menu which could be available for kde4.. don't think that raptor will be this good... but we'll see... please move on with your work on porting and i hope that we are going to see many different menus as plasmoids so everybody can choose which one he/she wants to use ^^

friendly greetings

bernhard

By lordbernhard at Wed, 07/25/2007 - 21:01

what i've forgotten to ask: is this kickoff menu already a plasmoid or something hacky like the kicker panel was?

By lordbernhard at Thu, 07/26/2007 - 06:14

It's the "hacky thing": getting rid of Kicker dependencies and making it a plasmoid are further. But please let the "port dcop-related stuff" step happen first :-)...

By at Thu, 07/26/2007 - 09:33

I am absolutely agree that Kickoff is the best of existing menus (and not only for KDE).
Please move on.
And is this possible to integrate into KDE 4 core? I mean to make Kickoff available for all KDE users by default but not only to those who have openSUSE. I am absolutely positive that all KDE users will love Kickoff manu.

Thanks,
Serhiy

By serhiy at Thu, 07/26/2007 - 06:36

> And is this possible to integrate into KDE 4 core?

Not yet, but will. If it will happen once ported and being a plasmoid is not my decision. :-)

> I mean to make Kickoff available for all KDE users by default

I know that at least Mandriva has it in their default kdebase package now (but not enabled by default) and afaik Kubuntu/Fedora have it available as alternative packages.

By at Thu, 07/26/2007 - 09:46

As far as I know currently Kickoff can be integrated with Beagle search. Are you going to add integration with Strigi for KDE 4?

Thanks,
Serhiy

By serhiy at Thu, 07/26/2007 - 06:49

Kickoff has a Beagle plugin, right. You can also write a Strigi plugin, even for the KDE3 version. But for KDE4 version it will more likely happen. :-)

By at Thu, 07/26/2007 - 09:35

What the heck is the thing that makes people think that kickoff is faster than the ordinary k-menu?
If you know exactly where the program you are looking for are located, then maybe it is better.
I would rather have a layout like tasty-menu or the gnome menu in Linux mint.
Why does kickoff hide the categories when you go to a subcategory????
I hope it will be possible to configure it to behave more like tasty-menu!

DajomU