MAR
2006

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10

Novell today announced SLED 10 at CeBIT. Apparently there is some confusion caused by bad coverage: it's the successor of Novell Linux Desktop 9, a rebranded NLD 10 - if you like to say so - which gives you the choice to use either KDE or GNOME. As Nat Friedman stated to some press you will not lose functionality when you choose to use KDE: every desktop's applications will run on the other desktop, OpenOffice.org will integrate into both equally, desktop search is available under both and Xgl/Compiz (if supported on your graphic card) is desktop-agnostic too. Also the KDE desktop inherits from SUSE Linux 10.1 nice stuff developed at SUSE like kpowersave and knetworkmanager which other distributions maybe will only adopt in their next but one release.

Comments

I have been using KPowersave for a couple of weeks now and I really like it.

Big thank you to the developers at SuSE.

Btw it seems the link is using the wrong host part :)

By krake at Thu, 03/09/2006 - 23:40

I wish I could talk like you and be happy with the software, but I can't get it to run.. allright I'm a linux newbie and dunno much about libaries - it's not that easy. I guess I'll read the docs first.

By feanor at Sat, 06/17/2006 - 10:55

Oh please......

By segedunum at Fri, 03/10/2006 - 13:07

Dunno what you want to say with that special quoting, they do that fine including stuff like GAIM being patched to have a transparent icon in KDE's system tray for example. And btw, you don't have to comment on every blog entry of mine.

By at Sat, 03/11/2006 - 16:53

Here's the cluestick:

Apparently there is some confusion caused by bad coverage:

Novell....or is it Suse this week? Who knows? Anyway, they seem to have this idea of integrating terrible quadruple alpha software into their KDE implementation, like Beagle.

I mean, it's really nice that Beagle and GAIM is being integrated with KDE and all, but how's the integration of Kopete in Gnome coming along? As a Suse user, and buyer, that happens to be important to me.

And btw, you don't have to comment on every blog entry of mine.

I can't remember commenting on every blog you've done.

By segedunum at Sat, 03/11/2006 - 18:43

> Here's the cluestick:

To me it seems that you are the one lacking some clue.

>> Apparently there is some confusion caused by bad coverage:
> Well, that's called intentional bad coverage - and it's been done every time the NLD is released or talked about.

I blogged about confusion whether SLED is an NLD alternative/new product or a just new name. You want to tell that either Novell or OSnews has an interest to create intentional confusion about this topic!?

> Novell....or is it Suse this week?

Get some clue (but I don't want to club it into you).

> Anyway, they seem to have this idea of integrating terrible quadruple alpha software into their KDE implementation, like Beagle.

And Kat is more mature in your dreams? Keep the bashing and FUD.

> but how's the integration of Kopete in Gnome coming along?

What are you missing?