I found a sound clip. OGG. I wanted to listen to it. Just listen.
- So I clicked on it.
- KDE offered to open it with Kaffeine. I accepted
- Kaffeine started and promptly gave me an error dialog but no sound.
- Went back and chose another player from the context menu: amarok.
- amarok started, asked me 5 (five) almost identical question dialogs (sequentially!) but no sound.
- Back to the context menu and chose xmms.
- xmms started, gave an error dialog about sound card not being available but no sound.
- Back to the context menu, RealPlayer 10 was offered but I already lost interest.
- Copied the url of the sound bit, went to the konsole, wrote ogg123 and pasted the url then hit enter. Bam! Instant Sound.
Trivially complex :-(