NOV
2005

The Importance of KDE 3.5

KDE 3.5 has been released (press quote: "The newest version of KDE will have users happy that vendors have recently decided to keep supporting it"), the really last feature release in the until now three and a half years successful KDE 3 series. KDE 3.5.x will be the versions most users will use for likely more than a year (time until KDE 4 release + time until distributions pick it up + time until users upgrade). And KDE 3.5 will also be the version on the next year upcoming business desktop products which currently still ship KDE 3.2.

So please don't jump now full-time into KDE 4 development despite as much fun it is being able to break or rewrite everything. Please help to make KDE 3.5 series the most stable and bug-free KDE ever. After, let us say KDE 3.5.2 bugfix release, there will be still several months left to fully concentrate on KDE 4. And if you want to hack on new features based on stable kdelibs3, KOffice is always looking for helping hands and aiming for a great release early next year.

PS: Congratulations to Firefox for gaining the ability to reorder tabs - a feature I enjoy in Konqueror for two years now. ;-)

Comments

> Congratulations to Firefox for gaining the ability to reorder tabs - a feature I enjoy in Konqueror for two years now.
I never noticed Konqueror can.. Just tried, it appears to work when I use Ctrl+Shift+Rightarrow. ;-)

But can this hidden feature be made more visible? Drag&drop doesn't seam to work, nor do I see an option in the context menu to move the tab. Thanks for a great release!

By vdboor at Wed, 11/30/2005 - 22:18

Actually I meant reordering tabs with mouse. Konqueror uses the same scheme as Kicker for this: left mouse button drags&drops the URL (drop onto other tab, "Location:" field, empty tab bar space for new tab, ...) and middle mouse button allows you to reorder tabs.

By at Thu, 12/01/2005 - 05:53

1. Wow, I didn't know that. It's _very_ hidden indeed.

2. For KDE4, I would vote for switching the mouse buttons, so LMB does reordering and MMB does URL-dragging. I suppose most people rather expect reordering than URL-dragging, maybe this would be worth asking the usability people.

By jakob petsovits at Thu, 12/01/2005 - 10:04

Using konsole for development most of the time, I've gotten used to gaining focus via Shift + Left/Right Arrow. Can't do that in Konqueror, yet, afaik. It would be consistent if they both behaved the same, but I suppose this is of course outside of konqui, and more a kdelibs thing.
Just a thought.

By Ryan Nickell at Wed, 11/30/2005 - 22:36

Konq comes configured out-of-the-box for Ctrl-comma and Ctrl-period to switch tabs, with alternates of Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-]. (At least on US English/Dvorak layouts.) There's a pref at "Settings - Configure Shortcuts..." in a Konqueror window, too.

When Firefox can finally put the focus on the page of the visible tab, then I'll be impressed. Virtually every time, I have to click in the page to be able to scroll it, rendering the mouse-avoidance irrelevant. You'd think such a blatant accessibility issue (or inconvenience, in my case) that was introduced with the very first tabbed browsing support in Mozilla 0.X would have been fixed by now....

By sapphirecat at Thu, 12/01/2005 - 01:36

Konsole is very special application concerning keyboard input and shortcuts within KDE. Konqueror cannot use same Shift + Left/Right Arrow shortcuts because you need those for selecting text in HTML forms. Like the other reply said search within shortcuts dialog for "tab". You will also find actions to configure to directly give focus to any of the first 12 tabs, like in Konsole.

By at Thu, 12/01/2005 - 05:48

I was able to reorder tabs in Firefox months if not years ago.. There was extensions for doing it.

Maybe one day Konqueror will be as much expandable as Firefox..

By hrw at Thu, 12/01/2005 - 09:37

konqi is as expandable as firefox; it supported extensions for years. there are just not as much extensions available (you're free to write them...).

By superstoned at Thu, 12/01/2005 - 10:37