Over the last weeks I have been spending time on KDEPim and KMail in particular. Various usability and feedback issues have been fixed that bothered me before and I find KMail to be a lot more pleasant to use, fixing bugs beats working around them any day!
I have been struck with the complexity of C++ and moc and all that. Steep leurning curve! It took me hours to implement something that I would have done in 15 minutes in Java. It turned out i hit various bugs in GCC and limitations of what moc can do. Whats more is that I wanted to shift focus again, so I created an applet for our worldwide.kde.org website since that has been growing and usability has gone down at the same time.
I downloaded the huge nasa BlueMarble image of earth (21600 pixels horizontal) and wrote an applet that ships with a 600x300 jpeg and allows you to zoom in on it all the way up to the full res image which means you still have a nice picture at 200x zoom.
Next I got the coordinates and names as used on Worldwide from Rainer Endres, who maintains the Worldwide database. So I wrote a parser and renderer for that data. Which was the easy part. Then I spent about a whole day writing and tweaking a placement algorithm so names don't overlap and make things unreadable. I think I succeeded quite nicely there :)
After some more bugs are squashed expect it to be shown on Worldwide, as Rainer liked this addition. For now, here is a screenshot: