FEB
2005

A real breeze: WebFolders with KDE 3.4

After I tried to discover what's behind Konquerors new shiny Introduction page, I discovered a feature that I want to share: Konqueror now knows the metaphor of WebFolders, similar to Windows, but actually supporting more protocols. (Warning: Flash movie ahead :))

Accessing WebDAV folders itself is no news and has been working for a long time. However, this was not done in an exactly userfriendly manner. This, the remote:/ slave allows for the creation of WebFolders.

Lucky enough, I remembered that one of my email providers also provides Data Storage via WebDAV, so I tried that.

The following little flash movie shows exactly that: The creation of a WebFolder via a wizard, which is (imho) even easier to handle than WebFolder creation on Windows. Note how the new "GMX" entry is generated before the new Konqueror instance starts to open the location.

You might notices two things: For one, I didn't have to provide username or password. This is because I stored the credentials in kwallet on an earlier ("manual") visit to the site. The other issue you might notice is that umlauts are broken on folder listing. I investigated that and found that GMX is sending escaped umlauts valid for Latin 1 (aka ISO-8859-1), but at the same time specifies UTF-8 as character encoding, which is bound to fail. Bug report to GMX is out since 24 hours, no response yet...

Comments

It would be cool if remote:/ behaved like a meta ioslave so we can do remote://GMX/ to access that webfolder. Or does it do that already? I have not updated HEAD for sometime and cannot try it now since I'm at work.

By floyd at Fri, 02/04/2005 - 19:17

There was a description how to create such a "live screenshot" somewhere, but it obviously I forgot to bookmark it. You don't have a flash movie which explains how it was created, do you?

Or is there a "Movie"-capture mode in KDE 3.4's ksnapshot now? :D

By uddw at Fri, 02/04/2005 - 21:26

Google delivered: http://desktops.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/26/1815242&tid=6 and I followed :)

By Daniel Molkentin at Fri, 02/04/2005 - 21:34

By Kurt Pf. at Fri, 02/04/2005 - 21:46

Cool demo. We'd need many more of these. How did you produce those? (And could you make the flash movie to auto-repeat, just like phyosos' demo? And is there a way to transcode it into a Free format, for users who prefer that?)

A few remarks:

1. webdavs://mediacenter.gmx.net/ (direct access of URL) does work too -- with Konqueror (not f.e. with Firefox). (I am sure danimo knows this -- but for the demo of a new function it is best to show the most simple usage of it to a new user. Prior creation of a folder, and using the remote:/ kio_slave adds additional complexity to the demo. But it is still *very* cool!)

2. I'd like to see an extension to the demo: split the konqui window into two; go to your $HOME in one pane; drag and drop a file to the other pane into one of the folders. This would show how easy it is to upload files.

3. (No, I'll spare that one for now. Would add more complexity again. Let's keep our powder dry!)

Good one, danimo -- I like it very much.

Cheers,
Kurt

By Kurt Pf. at Fri, 02/04/2005 - 21:28

See my comment below on how I did this. I have a demo account for testing and I started an xvnc server there.

On repeating: I could, but I'd like to know the audience when it's done. if they want to see it again, they simply hit reload.

on 1) I was assuming that people would conclude this, but thanks for pointing it out again.

on 2) Feel free, you have the tools, and it's not hard to get your hands on a GMX account these days :)

on 3) thank you. I will now return my quest to find new ways to look busy in case you want me to implement that at some later point. :)

Cheers,
Daniel

By Daniel Molkentin at Fri, 02/04/2005 - 21:47

# "if they want to see it again, they simply hit reload"
---
Sure. And maybe re-fetch the complete 6.2 MByte file again and again?

OK -- that will likely be taken from the local cache. So I use a more convincing argument: think of a self-running demo, at a booth, during an exhibition.

.... "if they want to stop seeing it, they simply hit 'stop' or 'quit' or browse to a different URL"

;-)