APR
2004

KDE is Best Linux Desktop

Just a quick note to say KDE won best linux desktop for KDE 3.2 last night!

Comments

That is soo cool. So you tux was worth it!

By Ian Reinhart Geiser at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 11:54

I really hate people who dare say '... is the best' or something like that, KDE is NOT the best linux desktop, it is the best linux desktop for YOU, which doesn't neccessary mean it is the best linux desktop for anybody else...just say it's one of the best and you can really work with it, I think most people will have more information from this than from 'KDE is the best desktop'...argh, whatever :)

By jblechert at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 13:12

how about: KDE is considered the best Free Software desktop for their needs by more people than any other Free Software desktop?

might need a slightly larger award plaque for it to fit, however. ;-)

as a data point... jblechert: what desktop do you personally prefer?

By Aaron J. Seigo at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 14:57

I use KDE every day to get my 'work' done, GNOME is nice, but that's it...KDE is the best de for me, the only one I felt comfortable with from the very first moment.

By jblechert at Thu, 04/22/2004 - 12:46

how else would they do an award? "Best Linux Desktop that we think is the best?".. come on, be pragmatic..

congrats btw!!

By smt at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 15:09

subjectivity :
    judgment based on individual personal impressions and feelings and opinions rather than external facts (syn: subjectiveness)

By Scott Wheeler at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 17:56

You better tell that to the industry judges who gave us the prize for 'Best Linux Desktop' then. They chose KDE from a shortlist of Sun's Java Desktop, KDE and Ximian Gnome.

By Richard Moore at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 19:37

sweet! congrats to everyone involved! onwards and upwards to 3.3!

By Aaron J. Seigo at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 14:59

Congratulations to everyone involved with KDE - anywhere. KDE is truly a marvellous desktop, and I don't just mean for individuals and hackers. The programming tools are fantastic, as always. KJSEmbed looks really, really promising, the C# support is great to hear and of course, Qt. This is a desktop that can really be taken forwards and put into businesses and organisations in the future. Putting desktops into a business environment is entirely different, as some people don't seem to know. The presentations were quite interesting Aaron ;).

I've just set up a test network of ten KDE machines as a proof of concept, nothing more so no hype (big financial UK institution - can't say any more). This is all vanilla KDE - no enhancemants, but some of the technology is obviously not KDE specific - Samba and NFS etc. Some of the admin and general everyday tools are very good. Konqueror, Lisa and LAN browsing works great within a Windows domain (the great thing is it doesn't rely on Windows browsing which never works anyway). KSambaplugin is a fantastic enhancement for setting this up, and I'll be playing with Kiosk sometime over the next few weeks inbetween my new day-job of supporting various VB and .NET apps.

Apart from some Konqueror usability issues (easily being able to navigate to the LAN browser etc.) and some integration with big apps like Open Office, it is all going great. I'll try and write up something about this, because using a Linux desktop invidually is one thing - when you put it into a large networked environment it becomes something very different. It is quite an education. So far it is holding up very well, but some improvements could always be made. I'm certainly interested in how YaST could be added to all this.

The thing I'm finding is that KDE does all the mundane, average, unfashionable stuff which is absolutely essential if you are going to run and admin a group of desktops, get them used by people and use it as a serious development platform. It is managing to quietly get on with this rather than hyping a load of meaningless rubbish. When it is developed further I think it really will get hyped. But, I'd better shut up otherwise I'll get accused of trolling ;).

By segedunum at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 20:01

Gnome might be more like windoze (less configurable, so easier) but I prefer KDE - you can do whatever YOU want... thanks for the work!

By superstoned at Thu, 04/22/2004 - 14:05