APR
2004

im addicted...

This last weekend I finally broke down and wrote my second most favorite game in the whole wide world "Daleks" ie "Robots" for those Americans who got the magazine "Creative Computing"...

At any rate I have now completed the game per the original spec. The story goes that "Dr. Who" is stuck trying to escape from these robots called Daleks. Now these dudes are not too smart, they just want to "Exterminate!", so they are prone to running into rubble and each other. The good doctor is not exactly defenseless. He is armed with a "sonic screwdriver" capible of destroying a dalek, and the ability to teleport. Needless to say its been a riot! i truly have had so much fun both coding it and playing it. I used KJSEmbed to write it to see how it pushed the language. I had to fix a QBoxLayout bug in HEAD, but other than that it works very well. Now I just need to decide how to release it. Transpose it into C++ for inclusion into KDE games. This in fact might be a nice demo to see how well KJSEmbed prototypes. Any way well see... I now have to get past level 20. :)

Comments

me and marble madness. I absolutely love that game, and I found a decent clone, but there's nothing like the original

By mattr at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 01:11

...and do you want to make a better one for KDE ;)

By Ian Reinhart Geiser at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 12:03

Maybe Trackballs?

I still love to play Spindizzy on my old Amstrad CPC6128. It's on of those evergreen computer games turning me into a child again. ;-)

By Christian Loose at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 12:43

yeah, trackballs is good. I've been hooked on that lately. Still nothing like the original though. :)

By mattr at Thu, 04/22/2004 - 14:39

I'm currently in the middle of hacking together a Galaxian clone myself. Using C++ and OpenGL. There's nothing like a bit of retro gaming.

( OpenGL, for pretty graphics, new levels and sub-games )

By Leon Pennington at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 03:08

there are only so many ways you can render blood splattering.

i think quite a few of the retro games took more skill and endurance. i once watched a guy solve the arcade version of LifeForce. The arcade actually stayed open until 2am to let him finish because he did it with only 2 quarters. that was insane... but some of those older games had a charm you just cannot find in todays games.

i cannot wait to see you game. In the arcade realm, i think Rampage World Tour was the best... but I have to admit thats cause I was in jr high when that came out, and they had 3d looking monsters =)

By Ian Reinhart Geiser at Wed, 04/21/2004 - 11:57