JUL
2003

Annoyances with Kolab and Outlook

Slowly progress is made, we finally got our plugin to load cleanly in Outlook proper this week now that we moved from MS's crappy STL attempt to STLport. There are still some issues with using STL in DLLs but we can login and dont get 5000 assertions from their buggy STL.

Now that Kolab is 1.0 though things can get more stable. We had been targeting generic IMAP for the longest time since we could never get a stable server. Now we have had a stable server now for a few days and we can do some testing. If all goes well we should have a demo at n7y at the end of August. Now I guess we need to work on iCal and vCard parsers :P

I cant wait to do some KDE programming to ease my brain....

Comments

You're talking about a Free Software Outlook plugin to connect to Kolab server? Or commercial closed-source?

By KDE User at Sat, 07/26/2003 - 10:25

About 6 months ago we started working on it out of interest, but due to other projects its been going slow. But yeah, its a 100% pure GPL connector. We have had many issues though because we have tried to be careful to steer clear of any "Shared Source" land mines MS has kindly placed along the way. Thus far we have been able to keep clean of any code that would effect the GPL status.

In August we will be releasing our cross platform C++ based IMAP access library (we have been fixing a few things to allow for the addition of webdav later), and in September the final connector will be done... I hope :)

The end goal is to provide an open source alternitive to the other offerings so we can market a pure GPL based groupware system.

By Ian Reinhart Geiser at Sat, 07/26/2003 - 13:30

Is http://konsec.de/KON/de/konnektor.html what we're talking about or another?

By KDE User at Sat, 07/26/2003 - 14:14

afaik konsec's plugin is not GPL, and is closed source. Its being done as a custom project for the kroupware project... Our plugin is basicly a IMAP transport and storage provider for MAPI. We just happen to be targeting Kolab.

By Ian Reinhart Geiser at Sat, 07/26/2003 - 15:24

Hi there

I've been chugging along at a similar strategy for developing a FREE Outlook Connector for quite some time now. I already have skeletal code for a C++ message store provider that loads into Outlook. Right now I'm working on the backend to provide MAPI integration. I'm grafting the Messaging part of Mozilla onto my Provider to provide both local storage and remote IMAP support. I dunno which approach you're taking.

I would love to share code and help out since I've got a complete environment setup for MAPI development under Windows.

Cheers
Stephan
email to stephanf at singnet dot com.sg

By KDE User at Mon, 07/28/2003 - 19:44

To clarify, I meant FREE as in Libre, or more to the point; Free using the GPL license.

rgrds
Stephan

By KDE User at Tue, 07/29/2003 - 06:08

I'm still wrestling with that rs232 thingy ....

By Mathieu Chouinard at Sat, 07/26/2003 - 13:21

I told you that you should have used gg:[SuperWaba]! You at least have pretend threads so you can do something while reading serial :)

By Ian Reinhart Geiser at Sat, 07/26/2003 - 13:33

Have you looked at libkcal and libkabc/vcardparser? These should do the job (and they run on Windows, at least if you treat them well ;-)).

By Cornelius Schumacher at Sat, 07/26/2003 - 23:25

The problem is they require Qt... since we wish to keep pure GPL we cannot use Qt commercial. I remember looking at libkcal some years ago for another project, and thought it was nice.

how hard would it be to convert these to STL? libkcal from what i can tell is VERY mature and if we cannot use it, i think it will be a guideline to follow.

By Ian Reinhart Geiser at Sun, 07/27/2003 - 01:40