JUL
2003

Who is paid to hack Kde?

I am planning on doing a feature which will list all the Kde developers who are paid by someone.

Here is an incomplete list.

Waldo Bastian by Suse
Zack Rusin by Automatix ( there was someone else too)
David Faure by Trolltech
Andras Mantia by Eric Laffoon
Bo Thorsen by Klaralvdalens Datakonsult AB

Any others you know of, or would like to add or correct?

Adding to the list:

Arend van Beelen jr. by Auton Rijnsburg
Holger Schroeder Automatix
Laurent Montel Mandrake

Cornelius Schumacher , Stephan Kulow, Michael Matz,
Lubos Lunak, Lukas Tinkl and Everaldo Coelho by Suse.

Derek

Comments

I'm allowed to spend 50% of my worktime hacking on KDE so I'm not a full-time KDE hacker (it still is a great gesture from my company!). My coworker Holger Schroeder has the same deal with Automatix but he hacks on KDE-Win port.
Note that there's a quite more SuSe employed hackers with various amount of time sponsored to work on KDE. You'd have to ask those guys to get some details. Laurent it still employed by Mandrake. Scott had some marginal amount of time in contract that he can spend hacking on Open Source in general. A complete list would be very hard to compile since it changes almost daily, especially that many of us are contractors.

By zack rusin at Mon, 07/21/2003 - 00:51

In their Linux heyday, they had nineteen people working on KDE-cvs.

By KDE User at Mon, 07/21/2003 - 04:35

As said you have to differ between full-time and half-time or even less hackers: AFAIK only Waldo and Andras are full-time hackers and completely decoupled from company's needs (package maintainment, release management, distribution specific adaptions/ changes, ...). And Bo like many others only does temporary contract work for a defined period AFAIK. And many more hackers, paid by known companies, only work in their spare time on KDE.

By KDE User at Mon, 07/21/2003 - 08:02

What's the point in doing this feature?
I don't know, I mean, it might create a wrong impression as if KDE development is controlled by various companies with financial interests...
Instead I think you should actually do the opposite. A feature about volunteer KDE developers. That's a lot more interesting. That's the true spirit of Free Software.

By KDE User at Mon, 07/21/2003 - 09:49

Are you not pleased that Andras, Lubos, and others are available to do the work they do? I am. I appreciate the contributions of the volunteers and those who pay others to do work. The volunteer's names are publicized in the digest each time they commit. The sponsors are not.

Also, if publicized, others may do the same, permitting another hacker to do full or part time what they really want to do.

It's funny how eating is habit forming. I work 40-50 hrs / week at a job. I wish I had more time to program. There are a few things I would like to implement, but I don't have time.

Derek

By dkite at Tue, 07/22/2003 - 02:55

I got paid to finish the RDP stuff in KRDC since we use the app at our company, Auton Rijnsburg. Of course, that was just something occasionally.

Arend van Beelen jr.

By arendjr at Mon, 07/21/2003 - 16:49

Why do you spell KDE as Kde? Looks weird. :-)

By KDE User at Mon, 07/21/2003 - 20:06

Perhaps some info on how some of these people get sponsored would be good as well. Two angles could be presented on this. Those that get by and work for the various distros and those that do not.

By KDE User at Mon, 07/21/2003 - 20:35