MAR
2013

Gnome Founder Leaves

Planet Gnome is headed by a curious blog today, Miguel moving to Mac.

"To me, the fragmentation of Linux as a platform, the multiple incompatible distros, and the incompatibilities across versions of the same distro were my Three Mile Island/Chernobyl."

No mention that it was him who started the fragmentation.

I occasionally get moaned at for having a policy of removing unconstructive blogs from Planet KDE. This sort of blog confirm for me why it's not healthy to let anyone post anything on our Planet.

Comments

This is not news. He left Gnome development around 2005 or so, and it's well-known that he is doing Mono for iOS and Android nowadays.

By f8 at Tue, 03/05/2013 - 23:14

he decided to publish a big ole blog about it on planet.gnome.org anyways :)

By eean at Tue, 03/05/2013 - 23:32

to adopt mono. Who in this world keeps funding this idiot ? Funding ximian was a big mistake but I understand the times and the sentiment then.

By Vasu Muppalla at Wed, 03/06/2013 - 00:26

Xamarin has thousands of customers and was profitable after seven months: http://gigaom.com/2011/12/12/xamarin-mono/
Additionally, they raised several million dollars: http://xamarin.com/pr/financing

By f8 at Wed, 03/06/2013 - 00:44

Yeah, and then Microsoft dropped C#, instead going back to C++ as their target language. It's a dying platform they jumped on... And they might have millions but not enough to do more than keep it barely alive. Seems a lot like GNOME, looks like he has something for creating such projects ;-)

By jospoortvliet at Wed, 03/06/2013 - 15:55

Is it because you don't let anybody to post anything that you added the PS? ;o)

By Cristian Tibirna at Wed, 03/06/2013 - 13:43

I consider Miguel to be one of the best currently active trolls on the internets.
Not only does he usually refrain from cheap attacks (though he has weak moments), he can still trick people into assuming that anything he writes is even remotely correct.

A lot of lesser skilled trolls are detectable even by people new to a topic within a couple of sentences. Miguel often manages to keep readers believing for several blog postings before they recognize the faults.

Good thing though, more expert trolls like him and we would not do anything else other then reading flamewars ;)

By krake at Wed, 03/06/2013 - 18:18

"p.s. I'm single and eligible incase any cute slashdot ladies in the 30±5ish age bracket are interested :)"

Shameless ;-P